Kids Help Phone expands texting service to Nova Scotia with funding from Medavie11/07/2018
Halifax, NS – Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone is expanding to Nova Scotia with funding support from Medavie. This new national program provides youth seeking immediate mental health support with access to a free, 24/7 texting service that connects them to trained volunteer crisis responders. This $50,000 grant brings Medavie’s support of Kids Help Phone to $90,000.
Through our Foundation, Medavie supports community-based programs aligned with child and youth mental health, post-traumatic stress, and type 2 diabetes. Since late 2011, Medavie Health Foundation has committed over $3 million to single and multi-year grant and partnership programs in Nova Scotia.
• With the launch of Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone in Nova Scotia, youth can text TALK to 686868 on any text/SMS enabled cell phone for free and confidential support 24/7/365 with a trained volunteer crisis responder.
• In 2017, Nova Scotia youth had the highest rate of suicide/suicide-related counselling sessions – 35% higher than the national average. The most frequently discussed issues with Kids Help Phone counsellors were suicide and suicide-related topics, followed by mental and emotional health, anxiety and depression.
• Crisis interventions for Nova Scotia youth took place in 17% of all Kids Help Phone 2017 counselling sessions, higher than the national average.
“As a not-for-profit health solutions partner, Medavie is committed to improving the wellbeing of Canadians. For 75 years, through investments in programs and innovative solutions, we’ve been helping Canadians live well and enabling easier access to quality health care in our communities. Ensuring youth have access to mental health supports when and where they need them aligns with our Foundation’s belief that all Canadians, especially young Canadians, should have access to the tools and supports they need to live their best lives.”
– Bernard Lord, CEO, Medavie
“Kids Help Phone has been an ally to youth for over 28 years, speaking with young people every day, whether through phone counselling, Live Chat or now Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone. We are committed to improving youth emotional health and wellbeing by using actionable data and proven, innovative solutions to provide effective support in any moment of crisis or need. We thank Medavie for coming on this journey of expansion with us.”
– Shelley Richardson, Director of Development, Quebec and Atlantic Canada, Kids Help Phone
Kids Help Phone