Atlantic Wellness Community Center Receives Multi-year Funding from Medavie11/21/2018
Moncton, NB – Atlantic Wellness Community Center is receiving a $150,000 grant over three years in support of Open Doors, a counselling program offering free and timely access to integrated mental health care services to youth aged 12-21 in south-eastern New Brunswick. With intervention and treatment as priorities, the program helps youth struggling with mental health problems develop positive coping strategies in improving daily functioning, resiliency, and self-esteem. This funding brings Medavie’s support of the Center to $270,000.
Through our Foundation, Medavie supports community-based programs aligned with child and youth mental health, post-traumatic stress, and type 2 diabetes. Since late 2011, Medavie Health Foundation has committed over $3 million to single and multi-year grant and partnership programs in New Brunswick.
This funding was announced as part of the Greater Moncton Gives Back 2018 event on November 20 in support of Atlantic Wellness, with stakeholders and community members in attendance.
- Clients of the Center report an increased knowledge of positive coping skills and being better prepared to handle their feelings and behaviours, with almost 90% reporting improved daily functioning.
- New Brunswick children and youth have higher than national rates of hospitalization for depressive episodes, stress reaction and anxiety disorder. 1
- Children and youth who use hospital services for mental disorders are more likely to have repeat emergency department visits and repeat hospitalizations than those using hospital services for other reasons. 2
“As a not-for-profit health solutions partner, Medavie is committed to improving the wellbeing of Canadians. For 75 years, through investments in programs and innovative solutions, we’ve been helping Canadians live well and enabling easier access to quality health care in our communities. Facilitating access to timely and coordinated mental health care for youth and their families aligns with our Foundation’s belief that all Canadians, especially young Canadians, should have access to the tools and supports they need to live their best lives.”
– Bernard Lord, CEO, Medavie
“Atlantic Wellness is incredibly grateful to Medavie for its ongoing support of youth mental health services in our region. Their support has enabled us to provide more than 3,000 hours of free mental health services, expand and diversify our programs, and ensure that youth who need help are able to get it, barrier free.”
– Andrew LeBlanc, Executive Director, Atlantic Wellness Community Center
Bernard Lord, CEO, Medavie, with representatives from Atlantic Wellness Community Center at the Greater Moncton Gives Back event on November 20, 2018.